Legal fellow (paid)
Deadline: 7 June 2020
About MENA Rights Group
MENA Rights Group is a Geneva-based legal advocacy NGO, focusing on the protection and promotion of fundamental rights and freedoms in the Middle East and North Africa. Adopting a holistic approach, we work at both the individual and structural level. We provide legal counselling to victims of human rights violations through recourse to international law mechanisms. In addition, we assess the human rights situation on the ground and bring key issues to the attention of relevant stakeholders to call for legal and policy reform. We are a small and dynamic group of human rights lawyers sharing a passion for the MENA region.
What you will do:
The fellow will be working on litigation cases: this involves documenting cases of individuals who have been victims of human rights violations and undertaking appropriate legal action on their behalf. The fellow will also be supporting other advocacy actions undertaken by MENA Rights Group.
What we are looking for:
If you want to join our team, you must:
- Be passionate and knowledgeable about human rights;
- Have demonstrated interest and knowledge of the MENA region, including the political and legal context;
- Hold a university degree in law or social sciences with a strong international law component, and be familiar with international law, human rights law and/or international humanitarian law;
- Speak and write English fluently; working knowledge of Arabic is a strong asset;
- Have solid analytical and writing skills;
- Be able to work in a fast-paced environment, i.e. be organised and able to work effectively and independently;
- Ideally, be familiar with social media;
- Share our values and vision;
- Enjoy working in a small and multicultural team.
This is a full-time position for a duration of one year (with a trial period of two months), starting July 2020. We provide our fellow with a monthly stipend.
The position is normally based in Geneva. However, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we are willing to consider the fellow working remotely.
We can only consider applicants who are in based in Europe, i.e. who are nationals or residency permit holders of Switzerland, countries of the EU or EFTA, or the UK.
What you need to do to apply:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Fellowship – YOUR NAME”.
The application should be in English and contain, in PDF documents:
- A curriculum vitae;
- A motivation letter in the form of an essay explaining your motivation for working with MENA Rights Group and why you would be a great addition to our team. We read these letters with great attention.
If you wish, you can add a maximum of two supporting documents, such as writing samples.
The deadline is 7 June 2020. We encourage applicants to apply early, as shortlisting will be conducted on a rolling basis.
All applications are treated in confidentiality. We will only get in touch with candidates who have been shortlisted.