Legal intern – Geneva, Switzerland
Deadline: 5 September 2019
About MENA Rights Group
MENA Rights Group is a Geneva-based legal advocacy NGO, focusing on the protection and promotion of fundamental rights and freedoms in the Middle East and North Africa. Adopting a holistic approach, we work at both the individual and structural level. We provide legal counselling to victims of human rights violations through recourse to international law mechanisms. In addition, we assess the human rights situation on the ground and bring key issues to the attention of relevant stakeholders to call for legal and policy reform.
What you will do:
The intern will mostly be working on litigation cases: this involves documenting cases of individuals who have been victims of human rights violations and undertaking appropriate legal action on their behalf. The intern will also be supporting other advocacy actions undertaken by MENA Rights Group. We are a small and dynamic group of human rights lawyers sharing a passion for the MENA region: the interns are fully integrated into our team and we welcome their input.
What we are looking for:
If you want to join our team, you should:
- Be passionate about human rights;
- Be passionate and knowledgeable about the MENA region;
- Hold a university degree in law (international law, human rights law) or social sciences with a strong international law component;
- Speak and write English fluently; a working knowledge of Arabic is not a must but an asset;
- Have solid analytical and writing skills;
- Be able to work in a fast-paced environment, i.e. be organised and able to work effectively and independently;
- Share our values and vision;
- Enjoy working in a small and multicultural team.
This is a full time position based in Geneva. The internship is for a duration of six months (with a trial period of one month), starting October 2019.
We provide our interns with a monthly stipend.
What you need to do to apply:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Legal Internship – YOUR NAME”.
The application should be in English and contain, in PDF documents:
- A curriculum vitae;
- A motivation letter in the form of an essay explaining your motivation for working with MENA Rights Group and why you would be a great add to our team. We read these letters with great attention.
If you wish, you can add a maximum of two supporting documents, such as writing samples.
The deadline is 5 September 2019. We encourage applicants to apply early.
Please note that we can only consider applicants who are allowed to work in Switzerland (EU/EFTA nationals, or Swiss residency permit holders).
All applications are treated in confidentiality. We will only get in touch with candidates who have been shortlisted.